REPAIR OF WATER PUMP FOR MERCRUISER GEN7 / 496PUMP
1) REMOVE THE BELT
2) REMOVE THE TWO HOSES FOR INPUT SUCTION HOSE AND OUTPUT HOSE
3) BE SURE to notice which is in and out
4) REMOVE THE COMPLETE PUMP WITH BRACKET FROM THE MOTOR.
5) REMOVE THE BRACKET FROM THE PUMP
6) TAKE THE REAR PLATE WITH THE HOSE FITTINGS OFF OF THE PUMP.
kit # im496 to repair.
7) REMOVE THE IMPELLER AND INSPECT
8) If the blades are missing back flush the hoses and oil coolers.
9) Be sure the hoses from the output thru the thermostat HOUSING is clear
10) Check both oil coolers.
11) On this solid brass pump the condition of the ends of the pump body is checked for flatness.
12) If the ends of the brass body is badly damaged and swirl groved AS ABOVE, the instructions for the f496reb should be used instead.
13) Lubricate and clamp the blades of the impeller and slide the impeller into the body cavity.
14) Replace the 'o' ring into the groove and replace the pump REAR PLATE.
15) Bolt pump into the bracket,.
17) Re attach the assembly to the engine.
18) Replace the belt on the front
19) Replace the hose on the input transom side of the pump.
20) With a flushette in place run the engine for a few seconds, if the right hose was connected to the right fitting,
the pump should gush a large amount of water into the bilge. If so put the other hose on.
If no water came from the pump reverse the hoses.
21) Replace the other hose and check with flushette.