REPLACEMENT OF LOWER GEARCASE SEALS MERCRUISER #1 AND ALPHA
1) Start by removing the upper drive from the lower gear case
2) Remove the oil from the drive.
3) Remove the large FRONT cover nut with cover nut wrench or use a 1/4 DRILL through the cover nut and break it up.
4) Remove the washer and pull the carrier out of the bullet. This may not be easy. If you replace the prop without the thrust washer and put metal plates between the propeller and housing. Put the prop washers and nut on the shaft and tighten. This will pull the carrier to start it moving. Sometimes heat is necessary. CAUTION the carrier cannot be pulled very far without damaging the shift assembly, so twist the shift shaft back and forth during the pulling process and when the twist travel of the shift shaft is eliminated the pulling must stop. From here the carrier must be pulled by the carrier itself not the prop shaft.
5) With carrier in hand drive the two seals out with a screwdriver from the gear end. Replace it with the one piece triple seal from the seal set imls2. A outer 'o' ring is supplied if the outer seal surface where the seals go is damaged. If he inner edge is not tapered or chamfered the 'o' ring might not be necessary.
6) Remove the water pump base assembly and change the 'o' ring , gaskets and two seals. then replace.
8) Put a new 'o' ring around carrier and replace in bullet. Watch for keeper (part to stop carrier from spinning) and drive the carrier in with a drift pin before tightening and use the cover nut to hold it tight. Do not use the cover nut to pull it tight.
9) Assemble to top housing watching shift alignment. If you do not know about shift see water pump instruction.
10) Good Luck